18 October 2012

midcentury madness

I am a sucker for anything mid-century design.  IKEA has some new furniture.  The Stockholm collection is pretty great.

Stockholm Sofa Table



I definitely have my eye on the dining chairs.

David and I made a run to a local thrift store to make our usual clothes & things donation.  They had almost all of the furniture out in the parking lot, so this chair caught my eye.  Then as we were inspecting it, and deciding if we really NEED it, and how much work it is going to be to refurbish it... an employee let us know that it was half price furniture day!!  So here it is... sitting in out house.  I LOVE the legs, and it is actually comfortable.  The seat depth is perfect.


Although there are a TON of furniture upholstering how-tos out there, I think I am going to ask a pro to handle this one.

A couple of weeks later, I stopped by this same thrift shop as I saw the furniture out in the parking lot again.  I drive past this place on my way to and from work so I decided just to stop for a minute and peek.  Found a pair of Gunlocke chairs!  They have official stamps and everything.


They have seen better days, but the bones are good.  David is going to take them to Gibsonville and take care of the wood refinishing.  I HOPE we can salvage the wood underneath the seat back.  If not, we will upholster again.  But I am really hoping for wood.  The bottom part will definitely be recovered.  I can't wait to go hunting for fun fabric for all of the chairs!

No comments: