05 July 2012

pillow party

I have a lot of sewing projects lined up, and I am excited to tackle them now that most of the major housework is done for this year.  I bought some fun new fabrics when we found a Crate & Barrel outlet on our trip to Chicago a few weeks ago.  Then BAM.  I broke my sewing machine.  I didn't know what to do with myself!
I took the machine to a repair shop, and the unfriendly old lady at the counter quoted me $90-$130 to repair it.  I said I was not ready to put that kind of money into an old machine, and that I could probably by a new one for that (or splurge a bit more to get a newer & nicer one). She promptly replied "NO.  Can't buy one for that." Alright then... I know exactly where NOT to go if I ever need repairs in the future.
Luckily, my parents have a machine at home that they are not using.  So we swapped out our machines and I am back on track.  I made 2 small pillow covers before my machine broke, and I made 3 on Monday when I got the new-to-me machine figured out.  Hooray!


I had also been working on hand-beading a little boudoir pillow for when the bed is made nice & pretty.  The beading took a long time, but it looks really good.  I tried my hand at a piping/border for this one, too.  I will need more practice with that for sure.


Next sewing project: attempting a tiny quilt!

No comments: